Friday, May 29, 2009

Photography

Do you spend more time setting up a photo than you did making the jewelry? I admit to being a bit of a perfectionist, so maybe that is my problem. I gaze fondly at magazine photos and then dissect them element by element, wondering what makes them work!

I have come across a few helpful bits of info on taking good photos, like proper lighting (Tabletop Studios) I have an under-light and surround bulbs to get crisp edges on my white background photos. This works great for our supplies site but jewelry needs a little more romance to it.

So I made a photo needs list with three basic points. I want backgrounds that are interesting, but don't compete with the jewelry. I also want to show off the way jewelry hangs on the body, but have no models. Third, I need a photo that really pops in the tiny gallery size picture in the search engines.So I experiment (a lot) trying different backgrounds and color schemes, different props and lighting. I am thinking about getting an old fashioned cloth mannequin to take pictures on. So if anyone has tips - comment here and help everyone out - Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, those earrings in the first picture look just like the earrings i made with your wonderful charms: http://de.dawanda.com/product/3461074-Geburt-der-Venus-Ohrringe-mit-Muschelanhaenger-Nickelfrei

Great tips, thanks!

Bead Up said...

Glad to find you on here!

I nominated you for an award today on my blog: http://beadup.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-first-award.html

Designs by Blanche said...

Great tips - I too just gave your blog an award!

Check it out here:
http://sha-shajewelry.blogspot.com/2009/05/one-lovely-blog.html

Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

Thankyou for the tips on photography! I hadn't thought about how much backgrounds of a similar colour but different design can change a whole look.